In June we told you about the Government’s plans to roll out Universal Credit and Wolverhampton.
Universal Credit now arrives in Wolverhampton from Monday 8th February 2016.
It will only be available to a small section of people -single unemployed people without children.
We will keep you informed when it is made available to other groups of citizens.
The detailed information for single unemployed people without children who are eligible for Universal Credit is that you must :
1. be single
2. be aged 18 or over but under the age of 60 and six months
3. have savings/capital below £6,000
4. be unemployed or not earning more than £338.00 per month (£270.00 per month if aged under 25) and not self-employed
5. be a British citizen who has lived in the UK for two years without a continuous absence of four weeks or more during this period
6. have a valid National Insurance number
7. have a bank (or similar) account
8. not be pregnant or within 15 weeks of having given birth
9. not have any dependent children (including foster or adopted children)
10. not be a registered foster carer
11. not be responsible for paying Child Support maintenance
12. not be a carer of a disabled person
13. be fit for work (i.e. they do not have a ‘fit note’)
14. not be an owner occupier
15. not be homeless
16. not be living in supported accommodation where care, support or supervision provided
17. not be in any form of education or training (or planning to be in education or
training within one month)
18. not be getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and/or Carer’s Allowance
19. not be getting (or awaiting the outcome of a claim for or mandatory reconsideration or an appeal concerning entitlement to) Contributory Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Contributory Employment and Support Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and/or Housing Benefit.
20. not have a family member who is away from home in connection with their duties in the Armed Forces
21. not lack mental capacity to act – they must not have an appointee acting on their behalf